Who We Are
Founded in 1966, Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc. is a privately owned small business corporation. Our sales office, technical lab, transparency restoral department and manufacturing facility is located in Wilton Iowa. We manufacture a diverse range of finishing products and support a network of more than 120 national and 12 international distributors. We are suppliers to aerospace, automotive, cosmetic industries, as well as many other industrial and consumer markets.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT HISTORY
Micro-Surface customized its product line based on the needs of our customers, below is a time line showing the progression of our products:
- Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc. was incorporated in 1966, and began manufacturing their cushioned abrasive, MICRO-MESHTM.
- MICRO-MESHTM was originally developed for the restoration of fine art. It was found to be very effective for removing layers of contamination, old varnish and paint without damaging the delicate original substrate or masterpiece beneath it.
- In the 1970s MICRO-MESHTM was presented to the military as a solution for the repair of its acrylic aircraft transparencies. Using MICRO-MESHTM saved the military the expense of having to replace scratched and crazed aircraft windows. The window restoration at this time was done by hand, no tools were used. The most popular kits were the KR-70 and NC-78-1 Kits which were assigned National Stock Numbers.
- In the mid-70s, to further assist the needs of the aviation industry, Micro-Surface applied and was granted an FAA Repair Station License, #KY2R969K. Micro-Surface opened a fully staffed window repair department on site. Licensed techs also began traveling to the customers for on site repairs.
- In the late 1970s Micro-Surface entered the cosmetics market. MICRO-MESHTM nail buffers can be found in almost every nail salon and cosmetic counter. They are valued for giving customers smooth, long lasting shiny manicures and pedicures without having to apply nail polish.
- In 1982 Micro-Surface approached engine OEMs where they tested MICRO-MESHTM MX for polishing engine bearings of crankshafts and camshafts. MICRO-MESHTM MX was found to be a superior product, improving bearing surface quality by lowering surface roughness averages.
- Successful promotion of MICRO-MESHTM belts and tapes into the general metal finishing market followed. MICRO-MESHTM MX was found to greatly reduce or eliminate buffing during the finishing of most metal surfaces. Buffing is not only a messy process, but also can be an environmental concern.
- During the early 1990s Micro-Surface began manufacturing TufBuf Black Lambswool polishing pads for the automotive market. The black lamb pads were found to better disperse heat when used during the buffing process leaving less surface waviness and less swirl and haze.
- In the mid 1990s Micro-Surface developed mechanical kits for the aviation industry. Kits for all levels of maintenance were successfully introduced with specialized kits requiring random orbital sanders and rotary buffers and additional kits requiring only a cordless power drill. Kits were developed for both acrylic and polycarbonate surfaces. By this time Micro-Surface was well respected by our military, the British Military of Defense, leading repair stations and FBOs as well as the private pilot market.
- In the late 1990s the USAF gave approval for Micro-Gloss® liquid abrasive to be used as a Type 1 polish/cleaner and Micro-Gloss® #5 liquid abrasive as a more aggressive Type 2 window maintenance polish for both the inside and outside of aircraft canopies. A GSA general contract was granted to Micro-Surface for its products.
- In 1997, Micro-Surface developed a specialized cushioned coated abrasive called MICRO-MESHTM MXD. The MXD is a diamond abrasive and is essential for super alloy finishes and ceramics in the medical/pharmaceutical, and semi-conductor industries.
- In the early 2000s Micro-Surface began developing MICRO-MESHTM aluminum oxide products for the solid surface countertop industry. MICRO-MESHTM AO was found to be a much better value than conventional sanding products, giving a better finish and lasting many times longer.
- In 2002 Micro-Surface further developed MICRO-MESHTM Soft Touch Pads and worked with the wood and hobby industries to develop a variety of kits to assist users such as:Â MICRO-MESHTM Craft Kit for Hobbiests, and MICRO-MESHTM Belt Kits which feature 1/4 x 13 inch polishing belts and belt tool.
- MICRO-MESHTM Polishing Swabs were developed in the mid 2000s for the electronics and hobby industries. These specialty tools allow the user to finely finish intricate areas that would otherwise be unfinished.
- In 2004 Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc. developed the brand, SCRATCH AWAY. This brand is targeted toward the retail automotive, marine, and kitchen-bath markets.
- Research and development continued with the metal finishing market and in 2005 the Leading Edge Kit was developed to address the difficult process of polishing aluminum on aircraft. MICRO-MESHTM AO was capable of removing surface oxidation without removing the thin cladding of aluminum.
- In 2007, development of the MICRO-MESHTM Plexiglass Lense Kit was finalized and targeted to the aviation market. This kit features MICRO-MESHTM Soft Touch Pads and Micro-Gloss® Liquid Abrasives.
- Shimmer Shine 3-way nail buffers were developed in mid 2007 for the cosmetic industry. The coarse grade of the buffer features MICRO-MESHTM material with an on trend, very colorful, glimmering appearance.